Fabergé Paper Knives
The House of Fabergé was founded in 1842 by Gustav Fabergé in a basement shop in St Petersburg, Imperial Russia. In 1870 Fabergé's son, Peter Carl as he was known, took over the family firm and continued to expand the business and employed up to 700 workers. It is due to the size of the bussiness and that none of their items can be proved to have come directly from Fabergé's own hands. The House of Fabergé can also be seen as a good example of the technical and economic boom in Russia in the latter half of the 19th century.
Lot 391 is hallmarked 'E.K' for Erik August Kollin. Kollin was appointed the first principal jeweller in 1857 and was put in charge of all Fabergé workshops until 1886. Highlights of his work include a cup originally belonging to Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck, which was inherited by her daughter Queen Mary.